PhotoBomb Coined Phrase Origins

The Origins of the “PhotoBomb” Phrase.

More than eighteen+ years ago, I coined the phrase "PhotoBomb," which took off fairly quickly. To my surprise, I was also proud of myself for the trend I began. 

I knew I had come up with a phrase for an event that there were no other words for, or at least a good one at the time.

I was sure, over the years, there had to be failed attempts.

I tried looking for other alternatives, but none that I found that could rival my gold nugget. 

Example: "Men interrupting photo shoot"

"Horse hitting a pedestrian"

"Ploopers" or "photo ploopers

None of these terms were viable or accurate and could mean anything. 

I was looking for a word or a compound catch phrase with accuracy that would best describe the interruption of a photo being taken. 

If there was one' that I was unaware of, I knew my phrase would be the winner eventually. 

So I wasn't too concerned with it.

My main concern, did my catch phrase exist out there in any form?

Back in 2003, I searched termed "PhotoBomb" on Google. The return was surprising; there was none. I couldn't believe it. However, after a bit more search, I was able to get some results, I think it was because of all the searches I did which back linked to me.

There were some that came close to my great Jem; in fact, I found it partly put into an existing phrase.

Example: Photos of Bombs or Photo of Bombs.

I even looked for it in all the search engines... and still nothing. There was not a single person and search result that had my catch phrase and word meaning association.

So I was certain that the creation was mine... and the first of its kind.

I also knew I needed to share it with the world. 

I posted it first on my AOL page. Remember those days? Lol

A little less than a month later, someone else placed my family's wedding photo on their page. It became a joke with photos of people interrupting a moment. With the headline captioned "PhotoBomb" 

It was definitely a direct take.

Early adaptors began to use my family's wedding photo as an example. After a short bit, you could find my catch phrase on all the major search engines.

My AOL page was regularly at the top of the results.

I actively promoted it to a few websites that specialize in these bloopers, and there weren't many.

At the time, I was fairly new to Microsoft Picture. However, I managed to insert the caption into the photo.

I even gave examples on my page of how to use it in a sentence, some in urban slang, as memory might serve.

"Yo check out this Photo Bomb"

"Yo my family got Photobombed!"

"A funny PhotoBomb wedding."

"They Photobombed us."

"These kids went Photobombing"    

After a year or two, the family photo used by other sites along with my credit mostly disappeared.

I’ve tried looking for the original scan photo but could not find it, even in web files.

If you take a look at the photo, you’ll see why it was so obvious how I came up with the term word.

It is very upsetting to hear about my work in the media and entertainment and not get any credit for making it. As a starving artist, I didn't ask for compensation. Long ago, I was more about women, nightclubbing, body building, and writing/blogging.

It's sad because most starving artists and creators do not copyright their works.

My contribution was somehow lost or overlooked over the years, and was placed in the hands of other sites, who were not even in our camp circle.

I'm asking early adopters if you have any information or proof that you'd like to share or repost.Take a screenshot of any old website files you have.

I am the rightful creator who deserves to be recognized and credited.

Comments

Popular Posts