The Big Four Metal Bands Almost Wasn't

The Night Before Thrash Metal Almost Died!

Image for post

This event took place in NYC Jamaica Queens where three of the big four would make their bones and turn music on it’s head.

Image for post

Together would define 80’s Heavy Metal music, there by changing the landscape into razer rocks and dried lakes, and whole mountain sides cut and sculptured into their image to which the Thrash God’s bestowed a shield and blade for the rough roads ahead… they truly would need it.

Image for post

The year is 1983 Metallica, Anthrax and Dave Mustaine founder of Megadeth were rehearsing at the Music Building by Union Hall and Archer next to Jamaica Avenue.

Image for post

About nearly five blocks away I started banging on the piano keys, up until then I played with my toy trucks and a broken guitar.

The neighborhood two years earlier was largely white the ones left behind we’re retired. African Americans mainly filled the void, so when I saw these young long haired hippies, feeling nostalgic, my first initial reaction, I was happy to have them as our newest residents, unfortunately crime began to rise right around that time.

My mother feared for the safety of my brother and I and would not let us out of her sight unless we were with friends, naively I thought for sure we would grow up with these older cool dudes but that would not be.

There were numerous times where I witnessed trouble brewing in metalic land onto the ghetto streets, other times my brother chris witnessed Dave and James ready to set it off at any moment, near the front or back entrance by 165 pedestrian mall with Lars dowsing out the fires. (metaphorically speaking)

Image for post

On another occasion Cliff Burton base player for Metallica saw his first live Hip Hop show on Jamaica avenue at Rufus King park,

Image for post

the incredible thing Grand Master Jay of Run DMC was setting up his turntables and performed a mic check, as to what Cliff thoughts were when he came upon the scene is anyone’s guess, sadly they both were tragically killed, but not before earning the titles the kings of Thrash Metal and Hip Hop.

Image for post

In the days or weeks leading up to the bands departure from the area, my brother and I went shopping with our mother on Jamaica avenue less than five blocks from our home, a class mate of my brother along with a friend of his mentioned a strange sound coming from next door around the corner, and invited us to check it out.

Surprisingly our mother allowed us to do so. It might have been the only time I would visit the Music Building before it was torn down.

I remember the hallways strewn with garbage… later I found out it was the work of Dave Mustaine to which upsetted other musicians so much… their door was used as a punching bag.

What came out of that place is the stuff of rock music history . . .

The sounds I heard scared me a bit however, I was also fascinated and intrigued, it was like Jimmi Hendrex had turned over on his grave and wailed on his guitar as if to say this is how you do it boys!

My first lessons in thrash metal was now set and things would never be the same again.

Capturing that sound was my childhood reality. My guitar rarely wasn't in my hands. Thanks to these bands and rap groups my wide palate for music never stopped.

The beloved neighborhood dogs to which many tenants took care of including myself was a source of joy for the kids in the area, because of our screwy building codes we were not allowed to have any dogs, instead we had them stay short term with us.

In doing so a lot of kids thought they were the rightful owners and felt they had a responsibility to care for them.

One rainy day I received word one of my dogs was beaten kicked with no mercy. The word was a tall white blond dude with long hair had done the deed. In other reports hair color description changed to a darker tone with an additional assailant, nonetheless the neighborhood around my block came out with bats and chains and a few were packing heat...they were out looking for Blood and Justice.

Of course I couldn’t be apart of what might be a homicide... over the years the thought occurred to me what if my favorite bands we’re mistaken for the perpetrator or worse any white guy close enough to the discription and not familiar to the area would pay out of revenge was some of the impression I got. Thrash metal and all it’s subgenres would not have jumped off as it did. The first thrash metal album KillEm All might have been shelved, and neighborhood kids gone to prison for murder, which metalronically is usually the subject matter headbanging artists sang about, the question is were any of them carrying?

In their case they didn’t need it, the thrashing god’s yet again were there to protect them . . .

Dispite a number of times the neighborhood came close to finding their whole in the wall, two black children possible siblings, refused to give any additional information is probably why we have such great metal thrash bands today.

Image for post

At this point Kirk Hammett was not in the band however, I recalled for days people were still looking for the individuals even weeks later asking around for any information because Kirk pulls off Hispanic really well and other times more white than anything else together with his fresh feminine boyish looks would have been enough.

Image for post

After Dave Mustaine’s departure, inadvertently it may have saved his life. The angel of death looming over him that followed from Los Angeles failed in its mission. Years earlier his two band mates and a sound man were killed in a car accident. The next time around Dave wasn’t saved by angels from heaven or by fate but rather an earthly explanation one in the name of Lars, James and Cliff.

Image for post

A few years ago I was watching a documentary where Lars and Dave discussed their past and how James kicked a dog Dave had befriended, immediately my thoughts were "shit not James!" in addition to the what if scenario up until then I suspected it fell in their world, even though the two incidence were separate, I sincerely hit the lights when I heard the news...no pun intended.

The likely hood James kicked my dog was now a bigger possibility however, in all honesty it could have come from any other bands rehearsing in the area or a foolish white boy visiting their grandparents even though native headbangers from the area were hard to come by let alone most did not dress like their musical hard rock heroes.

Sadly our dog was seriously hurt and shortly later was ran over by a car and died, perhaps prior injuries limited his ability to maneuver out of harms way... I’ll never really know for sure.

Scruffy was buried in someone’s backyard, after all these years I still miss the dog today.

Image for post

These two pair were best of friends.

Image for post

This is only a representation of what our dogs looked like.

You can pick up any of my free ebooks at smashwords.

For a limited time.... today only.

Any questions or comments leave them below and I will respond as quickly as possible.

In association with Hampton Book Award.




Comments

Popular Posts