How to Be a Great Writer

Unleash the Great Writer Inside!

 
Does book sales indicates one is a great writer?

The answer is no... not always.

Case in point the author Herman Melville who wrote the classic Moby Dick was a commercial failure and received mixs reviews, the author had to borrow money after the publication, and he died an unknown writer.

Sometimes circumstances can make a great writer other times it is sheer determination or both.

But the third kind... history absolves.

If you are well into your career, and have not written your master piece yet...it is your fault, at least to a large extent.

Digging deep in the way that you have may be destroying your creative output.

You must get into the habit by thinking differently, it is a job requirement to put yourself in this mind set with every characters created, for my own endeavors I take it a step further, acting out all of the scenes and diologs as a means to catch any flaws, and to improve language, so much so in my head I become the characters.

This is what all great writers do to an extent.

Example: Stephen King's pours himself into the characters of his horror and murder thrillers, so much so fans and critics have accused Stephen as twisted and psychologically demented.

Perhaps to much of a compliment.

In any case this can be achieved through hard work by reenactment or memory vision repetition.

Sometimes early motivation and encouragement is the key.

Stephen King made all his children tell him and his wife a bed time story every night...today his sons Owen King and Joe Hill are respectable writers.

In my case I had a twin brother at the top of our writing class, I wanted that slot badly and to never be compared to him as lesser in any way. 

I knew my choice in career would  journey from song writing to novels, I am grateful to have had this insight.

If any chance you missed your window, it is never to late, again you must psychologically alter your mind, find the things that gave you purpose or joy in life as you had as a child... and continue to do them, as long as it is constructive and nothing to do with writing...if need be pretend you are still a kid... learning your craft.

It is okay to start out slow, do not compare your progress with others right away, until you have reached certain goals in your abilities.

As an adolescence I was the fourth or fifth best writer in my entire school, after working hard for so long, I thought by then I surely had to be the best, only to find I wasn't entirely however, my consistent unique stories never failed...unlike others at the top, which motivated me to get better at unfolding plots...etc.

In no time I moved up the ranks and only got to the top when all other writers before me did not show up for school... for one reason or another.

It takes a certain mental additude to excel as a writer and to think he or she is the best, call it hutspah or confidence.

Believe that you are the best...and you will be a great writer.

Even if you only just begun your journey.  

I hope this help

You can pick up any of my free books at smashwords 

For a limited time...today only.

Any questions leave them below and I will respond as quickly as possible.


In association with Hampton Book Award.

HAMPTON BOOK AWARDS DISCOVERY


Comments

Popular Posts